The tiniest patients at The Woman's Center at Bay Area are cared for in our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), a Level III NICU unit that provides highly specialized care. A comprehensive team of neonatologists, neonatal nurses and respiratory therapists, who provide 24/7 in-house neonatal care, staff our NICU. All NICU and Newborn Nursery Staff are certified providers of the Neonatal Resuscitation Program and have STABLE certification to provide specialized care.
Our NICU is conveniently located close to the mothers' rooms, so new parents can rest assured knowing their babies are just down the hall. We even offer video call technology when you need to take a little break.
Healthy babies are born every day at Corpus Christi Medical Center. Babies born even a few weeks early may be healthy, but need some extra help. Our NICU is fully staffed and ready to do what’s needed to bring your newborn home happy and healthy.
What is a NICU?
The neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) is a specially designed nursery in the hospital providing round the clock care for premature or critically ill infants. Our specially trained healthcare providers are ready to support and facilitate the optimal development of the tiniest patients.
Babies born prematurely may need more monitoring or treatment to ensure their lungs, hearts and other organs are well developed. A Level III NICU offers newborn care for babies born at any gestational age or with a critical illness. Our NICU also has a certified neonatal physical therapist. A specially trained NICU transport team is on alert 24/7 to handle the transfer of high-risk infants to and from other area hospitals.
Specialized Neonatal Care
The Woman's Center at Bay Area NICU can provide help in many pediatric specialties and treatments. Our services include:
- Neonatal Surgery
- Inhaled nitric oxide treatment
- High-frequency oscillatory ventilation treatment
- Staff certified in PICC line service
The Women’s Center at Bay Area also offers parent programs, including:
- The Cuddle Club: Hospital volunteers trained to hold, rock and comfort your baby in your absence
- Kangaroo Club: Care designed to enhance bonding using the skin-to-skin experience for both mother and father
- Tub Club: Hands-on education for parents in bathing and daily care for your baby
- Lactation Support: Includes breastfeeding education and the management and storage of breast milk during the NICU stay
- Early Childhood Intervention Referral Program: Provides parents with interventions that assist babies in reaching developmental milestones
- Parent CPR: Instruction of basic infant resuscitation skills for parents
- Bereavement Support: Emotional and spiritual support through the grieving process
- Car Seat Loaner Program: Designed to keep all infants safe by providing short-term car seat rental services
- Scraptherapy Program: Developed to provide parent “downtime” and create priceless memories of the baby’s stay in the NICU. Supplies provided
Neonatal Transport Team
The Woman's Center at Bay Area also provides care for babies born prematurely in hospitals that may not have a neonatal intensive care unit. Our Neonatal Transport Team is committed to providing expedient and skilled response to referring physicians and hospitals in South Texas. The critical care transport team at Bay Area is comprised of highly skilled registered neonatal nurses trained in transport medicine, high-altitude physiology and neonatal advanced life support. This advanced training allows our team to transport the most critical and tiniest of babies by air or ground, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Find a Doctor
See if your OB/GYN has privileges at Corpus Christi Medical Center (or find one who does). Search our doctors and schedule your appointment online: Search & Schedule