Corpus Christi Medical Center provides specialized inpatient rehabilitation for patients after surgery, injury, trauma or stroke, to help them regain their quality of life and ability to care for themselves.
Our Inpatient Rehabilitation Program is located within Doctors Regional Hospital, providing patients with 24-hour access to nursing and physician care, emergency rapid response care, respiratory support, imaging, labs, telemetry, dialysis, pharmacy and nutrition. Patients also benefit from being treated at our primary designated Stroke and Chest Pain Center.
Our goal is to support you 24-hours-a-day through the entire rehabilitation process, enabling you to return to maximum independence and resume your life.
Specialized Rehab Programs
Our specialized programs offer inpatient rehabilitation for a range of conditions, including:
- Stroke/cerebral vascular accidents
- Spinal cord injury
- Neuromuscular diseases (including Parkinson’s disease, Guillian-Barre syndrome, and multiple sclerosis)
- Neurological diseases
- Brain injury
- Hip fractures
- Knee or hip joint replacements (bilateral, patient at least 85 years of age, or body mass index of 50 or greater)
- Major multiple trauma
- Other conditions based on Medicare guidelines
How Our Rehab Program Works
We work closely with each patient to bring together the specific therapies that will meet their rehabilitation goals, all focused on a return to maximum independence and quality of life. Our comprehensive rehabilitation services include:
- Rehabilitation medicine
- Rehabilitation nursing. With specially trained rehab nurses to provide 24-hour personal care and support for your functional and medical needs
- Physical therapy. With specialists who provide assessment and instruction in activities to restore your overall strength, mobility and endurance
- Occupational therapy. To improve your ability to accomplish the activities of daily living associated with a maximum level of safe independence
- Speech-language therapy. Help to improve your communication skills and issues related to speaking, swallowing and cognition
- Dietary services. With licensed dietitians to ensure that you are nourished in healthy ways to support healing, while allowing for individual choice
- Social services. Our team of social workers and case workers help you and your family members to ensure a smooth transition back home and to the community. Social workers will also help you arrange for medical equipment and supplies needed upon discharge
- Respiratory care. To improve chronic breathing problems or those brought on by your medical condition
Your care will be directed by a physician with specialized training in physical medicine and rehabilitation. The rehabilitation physician will see you at least three times a week. Your other physicians may visit on a consulting basis.
Our entire clinical staff works as a coordinated team to ensure that you receive the greatest benefit from the rehabilitation process. The team meets informally on a daily basis and more formally on a weekly basis. We strive to provide extensive training to both you and your caregivers throughout the duration of the program.
We employ expert physical, speech and occupational therapists to provide you with at least three hours of therapy 5-7 days per week. Our rehabilitation nurses are specially trained to carry over the techniques you learn in therapy throughout the remainder of the day.
Rehab Center Facilities
Our Inpatient Rehabilitation Center is equipped with everything patients need on their journey to recovery, including:
- A full-scale kitchen, bathroom and laundry to work on activities of daily living
- Litegait technology to help with balance, posture and weight-bearing deficits
- Mechanized lifting devices
- VitalStim technology to improve swallow functions
- A fully equipped rehabilitation gym and dining room
- 15 private rooms
Referrals & Admission Criteria
Patients may be referred to the Inpatient Rehabilitation Program at Corpus Christi Medical Center by physicians, discharge planners, family members, staff, case managers, social services professionals or third-party payors. Our clinical rehabilitation specialist will complete a screening to determine the patient’s medical needs and appropriateness for inpatient rehabilitation. In most cases, transfers occur within 24-48 hours.
Patients may enter inpatient rehab when they have a diagnosis that requires 24-hour nursing care and the need for coordinated intensive therapy. They must be able to participate in physical, occupational, and/or speech therapy for at least 3 hours per day.
Tours of the rehabilitation unit are available. For questions about inpatient rehabilitation or to initiate a patient referral, please call our clinical rehabilitation specialist at 361-761-1000.
Find a Doctor
Looking for advanced rehabilitation services close to home? Search our doctors and schedule your appointment online: Search & Schedule