Women's Center at Bay Area in Corpus Christi, TX
Welcoming a newborn into the family is a big occasion, whether it is your first child or your third. At Corpus Christi Medical Center (CCMC) healthcare system, our maternity specialists are committed to helping you have a safe and memorable childbirth experience.
The highly trained obstetricians and nurses at the Women's Center at Bay Area care for you throughout your pregnancy, starting with prenatal visits and childbirth classes through labor and delivery. Additionally, our team provides premier postpartum care for you and your newborn after you deliver.
Schedule an appointment with one of our skilled OB/GYNs who is ready to partner with you during your pregnancy.
Maternity care for every stage of pregnancy
Each year, approximately 4,000 babies are born at our Center. We are dedicated to ensuring your comfort and well-being—and your child's—with features such as:
- High-risk antepartum unit (for moms who need to be on monitored bed rest during their pregnancy)
- Convenient pre-registration (in person or online) prior to arriving for delivery
- Prenatal, childbirth and parent education classes
- Labor and delivery unit staffed with skilled nurses
- C-section operating rooms on standby 24 hours a day with a specially trained staff
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit available around the clock
- On-site lactation specialist available to assist with breastfeeding
Our center recognizes the special needs of women immediately after delivering their babies. In fact, we have a dedicated postpartum care unit where each patient has a private room, creating a more peaceful surrounding that reduces stress while maximizing the mother's comfort level and sense of privacy.
Newborn nursery and breastfeeding support
Our caring and loving nursing staff provide quality care to your new baby. Lactation consultants are available to help you successfully begin to breastfeed and serve as resources during your stay. Our hospital's breastfeeding program denotes our commitment to breastfeeding mothers. We are family-centered, developmentally oriented and strive to meet your family’s individual needs.
NICU for babies who need advanced care
Our NICU services include board-certified, specially trained doctors (neonatologists), highly skilled neonatal nurse practitioners and support staff who closely monitor preemies and ill babies, 24/7. We care for babies born at 38 weeks gestation or younger.
Prenatal classes and hospital tours
The Women's Center helps families preparing for the arrival of a new baby. We offer a variety of free, convenient classes, including prenatal, breastfeeding and sibling preparation classes. To see our most current childbirth classes, dates and times, visit our classes and event calendar.
Please note: due to Covid-19 restrictions, all our classes and tours are currently being offered online.
Our breastfeeding class is designed to prepare you for a positive and successful breastfeeding experience. We provide information on the benefits of breastfeeding for both you and your baby, latch techniques, breastfeeding positions, how to choose a pump, tips to store your milk and discuss returning to work or school.
Childbirth education class
Our First Steps Childbirth Education classes help prepare you for the birth of your new baby. Our educator will cover topics about changes during pregnancy and as labor and delivery, as well as what to expect once you arrive at the hospital. This is a great way to let both partners acquire the knowledge, skills and confidence they need to make the birth of your baby a positive and enjoyable experience. You’ll also learn about newborn care, how to adjust to a newborn and what to expect during your baby’s first few months.
Attendees should be at least 28 weeks of gestation before registering for childbirth education classes.
Sibling preparation class
Our Big Brother/Big Sister Preparation Classes are for kids three to 10 years old. The classes give children a chance to get personal attention for themselves. Children also learn to face issues such as jealousy while learning to stay positive about their new brother or sister. Finally, they get to learn, in a hands-on way, how they can help their parents with the new baby.
Tours of our maternity unit
We encourage parents-to-be to take a tour of the Women's Center at Bay Area. This is a great way to learn what to expect during labor and delivery, to get familiar with our maternity unit and to ask any questions you may have.
Additional maternity classes
Other classes we offer include:
- Anesthesia options during childbirth
- Cesarean section birth
- Infant CPR
Other parenting and infant care programs
We offer an assortment of infant care and parent support programs, including:
- Car seat loaner program—designed to keep all infants safe by providing short-term car seat rental services
- Early childhood intervention referral program—provides parents with interventions to assist babies in reaching developmental milestones
- Kangaroo Club—care designed to enhance bonding using the skin-to-skin experience for both mother and partner
- Lactation support—breastfeeding education and the management and storage of breast milk during the hospital stay
- Parent CPR—instruction of basic infant resuscitation skills for parents
- Tub Club—hands-on education for parents in bathing and daily care for their baby.
To register for a class or tour, visit our calendar or call (361) 761-1549.