Surgical specialists in Corpus Christi, TX
At Corpus Christi Medical Center healthcare system, we offer a wide range of surgical treatments. Corpus Christi Medical Center Bay Area and Corpus Christi Medical Center Doctors Regional hospitals offer full-service medicine to rectify your condition or injury and restore your quality of life.
Whether you're here for an outpatient procedure or need to stay with us for a couple days after your surgery, our extensively trained surgical nurses and support staff are with you every step of the way, helping with your care and comfort from pre-surgery education through recovery.
Schedule an appointment with one of our surgical specialists.
Top health conditions that need surgery
Our surgical treatments vary by the condition, the location of the condition in the body, whether it's elective surgery and if it's a minor procedure or a more complex one. Elective surgeries can be planned for a future date, while major surgeries can require hospitalization for a period of time.
Minor surgeries are less invasive and may be accomplished on an outpatient basis. Your condition may also be treated using minimally invasive techniques—laparoscopic or robot-assisted—which mean shortened recovery times for patients.
Some conditions that may require surgery include:
- Abdominal pain, such as from appendicitis
- Ear, nose and throat (ENT) issues
- Gastrointestinal (GI) disorders
- Orthopedic disorders and injuries
- Thyroid disease
From preparing for surgery to rehabilitation, our surgeons help you through each stage of treatment. Your questions are important to us. So, we take time to answer any questions you or your family have about your procedure, including what to expect and getting back to normal afterward.
Types of surgeries we offer
Our surgeons specialize in a variety of procedures, including:
- Cancer surgery
- Cesarean section during childbirth
- Colorectal surgery
- Ear, nose and throat (ENT) surgery
- Endoscopic surgery
- General surgery
- Gynecologic surgery
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Podiatric surgery
- Urologic surgery
Surgery services for heart, joints and weight loss
In addition the wide range of surgical specialties listed above, we have dedicated surgical teams focused on:
- Heart and vascular surgery—Our heart and vascular program provides a range of treatments designed to restore or improve heart function and circulation. Our surgical specialists perform techniques such as coronary bypass, insertion of pacemakers, minimally invasive mitral valve procedures and deep vein thrombosis surgery.
- Joint replacement surgery—Our surgeons, nurses and medical professionals are leaders in orthopedic care, providing advanced joint replacement procedures to increase your mobility.
- Weight loss (bariatric) surgery—When patients reach the limits of non-medical weight loss treatments, we help them explore surgical options. Weight loss surgery reduces the size of the stomach and helps patients meet their health and weight goals. Bay Area's surgical weight loss program specializes in adjustable gastric banding, roux-en-Y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy.
Some of the most exciting advances in medicine involve the use of robotic surgery. In this minimally invasive technique, the surgeon sits at a computer station showing him or her enlarged, 3D images of the area being operated on while using a robotic system to perform the procedure.
It's important to note that the surgeon is in full control at all times–the robotic arms completely mimic the surgeon's movements, but the technology provides better dexterity and more precision than what can be achieved with the human hand on its own.
Robotic surgery requires much smaller incisions–sometimes through a hole as tiny as 0.1 inches in length–than traditional (open) surgery. For patients who undergo a robotic procedure, smaller incisions result in less pain, reduced blood loss, less scarring and, ultimately, a faster recovery time than if the larger incisions associated with traditional surgeries were needed.
Robotic-assisted surgeries we offer
At Corpus Christi Medical Center, robotic-assisted surgery is available for a wide range of conditions and surgical specialties, including:
- Abdominal surgery (gallbladder)
- Bariatric surgery (laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, roux-en-Y gastric bypass procedure)
- Colorectal surgery (colon, rectum, anus)
- Gynecological surgery (hysterectomy, myomectomy, endometrial resection)
- Urology surgery (prostatectomy)
- Neck Surgery (tumor)
Procedures that are not performed robotically may still qualify for laparoscopic surgery, another minimally invasive approach to surgery.
Depending on the patient’s circumstances, many robotic surgeries can be done using a single incision. Also known as single-site surgery, having a procedure done through a single small incision (usually through the belly button) means little to no scars, less risk of infection and shorter recovery time.
Each patient (and surgery) is different, but many hysterectomies and gastrointestinal (GI) procedures can be performed as single-site surgery.
Pre-register for your upcoming procedure
Surgery patients can pre-register before the day of surgery and get their pre-admission work completed in one area. This includes lab work and any other medical testing. They can also speak to an anesthesiologist and other specialists to ask questions about their procedure.
Track your loved one's surgery progress
While you're in surgery, your loved ones may want to stay abreast of your progress. To serve that need, we offer the Informer service, a text messaging system that delivers updates on your progress to your friends and family on their cell phones.